PLEASE SUPPORT THE BIBLE PROJECT

January 4, 2009

South AA Recap

While the first full week of district games haven't begun yet the weekend was full of pivotal games both in district and across district lines. The week was highlighted by Trinity's boys beating Brookhaven to capture the Brookhaven Christmas Tournament on Tuesday night and Brookhaven traveling to Natchez on Saturday and beating the Saints 63-52. Senior Blaine Roberts lit up the Saints with 29 points and Jake Reid added 15 to push the Cougars to 12-4 on the season. Givonni Dent led Trinity with 20 points. After replacing Brookhaven in Da Man's Top 5 rankings at #1 earlier this week Trinity now falls back down to the #2 spot just behind the Cougars. Bowling Green maintained the #3 spot with district wins over Silliman and Oak Forest to start district play at 2-0. Speaking of Oak Forest, the Jackets pulled off a sweep of Centreville on Friday night. The Tigers weren't at full speed but district wins are at a premium and I'm sure OFA will take what they can get. Columbia holds the #4 spot and didn't play this past week but will host Prentiss on Tuesday night. Prentiss fell to Simpson 58-55 on Saturday for only their 2nd loss of the season. Tuesday night at Columbia will be a huge test for the Saints who find themselves sitting at 0-2 in district. Simpson moves into the #5 spot with the win at Prentiss. The Cougars improved to 13-5 and will take on Wayne on Monday night before gearing up for a home meeting with the defending state champion Brookhaven Cougars on Friday. River Oaks drops out of the Top 5 after a 1 point win over Claiborne and a 25 point loss to Riverdale.

I attended the Bowling Green/Sillman game in Franklinton on Friday to get a feel as to how good Silliman may be this season. While Bowling Green won the game by 29 points I did see that Silliman has some potential to be in the thick of things in district 5AA. Silliman's Florian Doeinck looks to be a talented player but I was hoping to see him post up more. He was bringing the ball up the court alot for a big guy and I feel this kid could be a huge impact against a man defense in the post. That being said, I just saw the kid one time and Coach Barham knows his guys better than I do. The other player that stuck out was Cody Donze (Hope I got it right) who has some size and can move up and down the court.

Congratulations to the Brookhaven's girls team as they won their tournament this past week with a narrow win over Oak Forest. Brookhaven followed that up with a big road win against Trinity. Look for the Lady Cougars to get on a big roll this month. Prairie View's girls had a successful week as well as they hosted the PVA Doubleheader on Friday and Saturday. With wins over Tensas, Tallulah, Briarfield, and a big win over Riverdale the Lady Spartans are playing well as district play begins. PVA's Caroline Oliphant continues to put up solid numbers for the Lady Spartans.

Now that I'm about six weeks into the web site I feel like I've gotten some positive responses. I'm still attempting to make more contacts with AA south schools in order to track the teams and their records. It's harder than I thought but over time it's my hope to have one easy site for information regarding all AA south sports. I never thought it would be so hard to get scores. The only negative response was my use of one particular newspaper's articles on my site. I attached credits under the headings but that paper wasn't comfortable with it so I stopped using their write-ups. On the other hand several others have be gracious enough to allow me to use their pieces anytime which I appreciate. I'm still going to attempt to see all 17 schools play this month. Three down and fourteen to go beginning this week. So if you see some old guy with a confused look on his face that you don't know and a camera in hand it's probably me.
If you're interested in reporting your school's scores please call or text me at 985-750-3455. I need your help!

God is great!

see ya somewhere...................