PLEASE SUPPORT THE BIBLE PROJECT

December 6, 2009

Southern Sports & Travel Player of the Year

Rogers is Player of the Year
Chandler Rogers has been selected as the 2009 Southern Sports & Travel Player of the Year. The junior quarterback from Brookhaven Academy led the Cougars to a perfect 15-0 season and the State AA Championship. In Brookhaven’s 63-28 win over Lamar in the title game Rogers displayed the focus and composure he has exhibited since his first start as a sophomore. After all was said and done Rogers had passed for 353 yards and 5 touchdowns along with 139 yards rushing in one of the more dominate performances in MAIS title game history.
While the junior has garnered tons of attention this past season one thing that most people don't know is that just two seasons ago Rogers wasn’t a quarterback. “I have not always played quarterback,” said Rogers. “I played running back in the ninth grade. My tenth grade year was my first year to play quarterback.”
The rise of Rogers’ game has been attributed to hard work and countless repetitions on the practice field but also the stewardship of Brookhaven head coach Herbert Davis. “Coach Davis has been one of the biggest influences on me during my high school football career. When he came to Brookhaven Coach Davis gave me the chance to prove myself to him and the team,” said Rogers. “He not only believed in me but supported me and pushed me everyday to be the best I could be. He has spent countless hours teaching and coaching me throughout the past two years.” The relationship between the two doesn’t end at the front gate of Brookhaven Academy. “Coach Davis and I have a very close relationship. He treats me as if I were his own son. He traveled as far as Orlando with me to ensure that I could be the best quarterback I could be. We communicate and exchange ideas very well.”

Not many high school athletes can express what it feels like to go an entire season without losing a game not to mention the physical and mental toll it takes on an individual. Rogers and his teammates now have the insight into those feelings but as Rogers puts it, the path to a championship isn’t easy. “This past football season was the most physically challenging experience of my life. After the jamboree, I was in the emergency room thinking I had a broken leg. To come from that experience to going undefeated has been the most awesome experience of my life. Mentally, I was challenged more so than physically. Hours of film watching and studying with the coaches left me physically and mentally drained at the end of the season.”

During any championship season there comes a point when a team has a defining moment and for Rogers that came after a round two playoff win over defending champion Centreville. “We knew we had a special team after defeating the Centreville Tigers. They are known for their championship football teams, and defeating them gave us the extra confidence that we needed,” said Rogers.
The numbers associated with the season Rogers has had are impressive to say the least. Rogers averaged 326 yards of offense a game in an undefeated season against one of the most difficult schedules in AA football. He also was one of a very few to pass for over 3,000 yards and rush for over 1,000 yards to go along with 59 touchdowns this season.

More insight on Chandler Rogers
* How long have you attended Brookhaven?
My family and I moved to Brookhaven in 2000, and I began school at Brookhaven Academy in the second grade.”
* When did you first start playing football?
I played pee-wee football in the fourth, fifth, and sixth grades. However, I did not play my seventh and eighth grade years due to traveling baseball. I returned to junior high football in the ninth grade.”
* Looking back at the 2009 season what was one of the more humorous things that sticks out in your mind?
During a very emotional speech before the Centreville playoff game, Coach Davis got his thoughts mixed up...he said, "We may not be the best team, but we are the best T-E-A-M." (He spelled out T-E-A-M)”
* In your personal life who has been the most influential and why?
“My parents have been the most influential people in my life. On game days, my dad always sends me a Bible verse for encouragement. Mom is always there for love and support, when I need it the most.”
* What will it take for Brookhaven to be successful next season?
“It will be very tough to top the Cinderella story of the 2009 season. The team and I will have to work twice as hard as we did this year. It will take hours of offseason and extra workouts to remain champions, however, "We Believe."
* What are your plans for the summer....camps?
“In the off season I plan to attend as many combines and camps as possible. I plan to spend countless hours in the gym and on the field to improve every aspect of my game.”
*What are your goals after your senior season?
“After my senior season, it is my hope and dream to continue my football career at the college level. I plan to further my education by going into the medical field.”

2009 numbers breakdown:
Passing – 3,813 yards – 46 tds – 4 Ints
Rushing – 1,071 yards – 13 tds
Total yards – 4,884
Record as a starter – 23-4 (two seasons)

There were lots of great players in AA football this season and many faithful supporters of each one. The criteria for selecting the player of year was based on input from coaches, non-partial observers and input from readers as to why a particular player should be chosen.