PLEASE SUPPORT THE BIBLE PROJECT

March 5, 2010

Southern Sports & Travel Player of the Year

Rhodes is Player of the Year
Through the years as athletes and fans recount memories of their high school glory days it’s not uncommon for some to exaggerate or even inflate the playing abilities of many as time goes by. What was at the time an average athlete morphs into a certified all-star as each story gets told. There are however exceptions that by some means words alone can’t adequately describe an impact certain players have not only on their team and school but also young kids.
One particular player that will require no exaggeration about her abilities is East Rankin senior Brooke Rhodes. The possessor of one of the sweetest jump shots anywhere coupled with an unmatched dedication to succeed is why Rhodes has been named the Southern Sports & Travel Basketball Player of the Year.
The numbers are astounding……2,546 career points, 21.3 ppg career average along with 6.5 rebounds. Putting the averages aside Rhodes just led East Rankin to the school’s first ever Overall Championship with a 62-44 win over Pillow Academy. The senior also led East Rankin to their first ever State Championship in 2008/09 which they successfully defended this season. Brooke Rhodes has been instrumental in redirecting the spotlight to MAIS girl’s basketball which is on the rise. Rhodes averaged 32 ppg during the Overall Tournament. “She’s been the best I’ve ever coached. I’m only ten years into this league but she has to be one of the best ever played. She’s been our leader and as great as she is she’s even a better young lady. I’ve said it time and time again, just when you think she can’t get better she does. She lives for the moment and I’m just speechless because the things she does is remarkable,” said East Rankin head coach Michael McAnally.

One on one with Brooke Rhodes
* Who has been the biggest influence on you with regards to your basketball career?
“My Daddy has been the biggest influence in my basketball career. He told me when I was about 6th grade that I needed to learn to do a jump shot because not many girls could do it. We started right under the goal and as I got stronger we kept moving it out.”
* When did you first realize you had a passion for the game and when did you first start playing?
“When I was in 3rd grade I was playing upward basketball and scored 52 points. I practiced even way back then.”
* Describe the feeling after last season's semi finals loss at Overall and this year's feeling after winning it all.
“I was upset when we lost in the semi-finals last year, but I knew we had another year to get the gold ball. It made me work even harder in the off season. This year when we won the championship it was an awesome feeling! I can hardly put into words the way I felt.”
* What will you miss the most now that your high school career is over?
“I will miss all of the ERA Fans! We have so much support from our fans.”
*
What is one of the funniest things you'll remember about playing basketball at ERA?
“My funniest memories are of Rachel Knight because she is just so funny! We goofed off as much as we could.”
* Describe your relationship with Coach McAnally and what he has meant to the success of the ERA girls basketball program.
“My relationship with Coach Mac is good. I have a lot of respect for him. He has been great for the ERA girl's program. Going into 10th grade, I was thinking of changing schools, but I had a man tell me that Coach Mac would be the best coach I could have and he was right.”
* Who wins at HORSE.....you or your brother?
“Me, most of the time.”
* You have helped elevate the level of girl’s basketball in the MAIS, what is your advice to the younger girls who hope to reach their full potential?
“First thing I would tell them is to put God first in your life. Don't put other things before Him! Next, it takes a lot of hard work and sweat to be the best that you can be. The hard work does pay off in the end and it is all worth it.”
Describe you feelings and thoughts about playing at Delta State next season?
“I am so excited about going to Delta State and being part of their winning program! I think being there is going to elevate my game to the next level.”
* Best memory of high school basketball other than this year's Overall win?
“Probably, beating Presbyterian at Presbyterian for the Division II Championship last year. Beating Leake at Leake was also a good memory!”

Inside the numbers……
Career
2,546 points
21.3 ppg
6.5 rpg
1.5 apg
2.5 spg
48.1% FG (961-1997)
33.8% 3-point (136-402)
74.1% FT (481-649)
Senior season
24.4 ppg
6.2 rpg
1.5 apg
2.8 spg
46.3% FG (328-708)
38.4% 3-point (76-198)
80.7% FT (171-212)
.
.
Having had the privilege of seeing Brooke Rhodes play five times this season against the highest of competition there was no game more impressive than her dominant 35 point performance in East Rankin's 62-44 win over Pillow in the Overall Championship game. That game cemented her as one of the very best to ever play in the MAIS.