PLEASE SUPPORT THE BIBLE PROJECT

May 3, 2010

MAIS PLAYER OF THE YEAR SIGNS

Edwards signs with William Carey
Southern Sports & Travel, By Darron Thomas
For high school basketball players all over the country this time of year is one of much anticipation. From early childhood until they’re seniors, countless hours of playing the game that they love has consumed so much of their lives until the thought of not playing the game after high school is painful and hard to fathom for many. But, for a select few, the game not only continues but it also progresses as college awaits for those who have the skill and drive to play at the next level.
For Bowling Green senior Jaron Edwards the day that he and so many like him have dreamed of came on Monday as the two time Southern Sports & Travel 1st team selection and 2010 MAIS Player of the Year signed to play basketball with William Carey University in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Edwards was surrounded by family, friends and coaches as he officially signed with William Carey head coach Steve Knight on hand.
William Carey competes in the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference where they finished 2nd this past season. The Crusaders finished with a 23-8 record overall and with the departure of five seniors of whom all were guards Edwards will get his opportunity to play.
For a high school kid he is a highly skilled player,” said WCU head coach Steve Knight. “He’s not looking to score the whole time although he scores a lot of points and he gets other players involved.” When asked about what other traits made Edwards an appealing recruit Knight said, “He has good vision and he’s a complete player and we saw that when he came to work out against older players and JUCO transfers. He held his own and I think his skill level will help him progress quicker than maybe someone that just has individual skills and not a team concept.”
Choosing where to play college basketball can be difficult and heading into Edward’s senior season the pressure that came with recruiting was multiplied by the high expectations of the Bowling Green basketball team. Edwards enrolled at Bowling Green as a junior and not many knew much about him other than he transferred from Pine High School which is a neighboring town in Washington Parish. Edwards also walked into a program that had lost six seniors from a squad that had gone 33-3 but lost in the state semi-finals. By the midpoint of his junior season word had spread about his ability and Edwards erased some painful memories for Bowling Green fans by leading the Buccaneers to a South State Championship and a state semi-final appearance where they fell to Chamberlain-Hunt in double overtime.
Edwards led Bowling Green to its’ second straight South State title this season and its’ first state championship finals appearance in a decade. But with his senior season came immense pressure. “Having seen our seniors not make it to the state championship game last season really bothered me,” said Edwards. “I put more pressure on myself to make it this season and with recruiting it was hard sometimes. We we’re struggling at one point during the season and we just had a sit down and decided to just have fun and that’s when we started our run at the end of the season.”
Asked if the added pressure of recruiting affected his game this season Edwards said, “Yes it did at times, when we played some big games it bothered me and the team as well but we all talked as a team and knew we weren’t having fun. I knew I didn’t like to lose and I was pushing everybody else and I was worried too much about myself but after we all sat down we started to roll.”
Edwards will focus on adding some bulk and getting stronger this summer. “I want to go in and put on some weight and get stronger, work on my quickness, footwork and improve my defense because I’ll be playing against top notch players,” said Edwards.
Expectations as a college freshman? “I want to work hard because I want to start playing next season. I want to get some playing time because I’ve never sat on the bench so I’m going to work hard to earn playing time.”
Edwards will join fellow Washington Parish native Drew Meyerchick who was 2nd in scoring for WCU last season.

One on one with Jaron Edwards
*Who has been the biggest influence on you with regards to basketball?
"My mom and Uncle Jim. My mom has really done alot for me, she's been my biggest critic. She tells me what I'm doing wrong and what I'm doing right. My uncle had cancer a few years ago and the way he came back taught me alot about having to fight and battle for things."
*How much of your life has been focused on basketball?
"Alot but God comes first. He's given me the talent to play basketball and he is the reason I'm on this earth."
*What led you to Bowling Green?
"I wanted to come here a long time ago because some of my friends were here. I wish I would have come sooner because it's been a great experience."
*What did you know about Bowling Green before enrolling?
"I knew Bowling Green had a winning program and great coaches and it was a great fit for me."
*When did recruiting start?
"I started AAU ball in the 8th grade and I played every summer since then. I started getting recruited in my 10th grade year."
*How hard is it on a student-athlete having to be prepared for the classroom, basketball and recruiting?
"This season has been more difficult than in the past because you want to put so much into basketball but at the same time you have to keep your grades up in school. I'm a BETA student but it's been hard to maintain my grades and then you have the post season tournaments which take alot of time also."
*What have you enjoyed the most over the past two seasons?
"It's been great to wear that Bowling Green uniform every night and playing here. I can't remember one game that we didn't have a big crowd come watch us play."
*Describe your feelings when you committed to William Carey.
"I was happy, real happy. It's a good feeling knowing you're getting a free education and playing basketball. It's been an experience like I've never had before, it's been awesome."
*Why did you choose William Carey?
"It's close to home, great facilities, great coaching staff and I know a few of the players. It looked like a great home to me because I'm used to a small school."
*What other schools were you considering?
"Mississippi College, University of Mobile and Delta State."
*Does hard work pay off?
"Yes sir, it pays off tremendously. I've worked my butt off since the 8th grade and I know there are things I need to work on. I'm working hard so hopefully it will pay off my freshman year in college."
(Photo at top of page) Seated with Jaron Edwards are his parents Dawn Seal and Todd Edwards. Standing is AAU Coach Chris Reed, William Carey Head Coach Steve Knight and Bowling Green Coach Pat King.